Rustic Chocolate, Pear & Pecan Tart
I prepared this lush tart around a year ago on the Afternoon Express Show. It popped up in my folders and I remembered how crazy delicious and simple it was with its rustic charm and all. All butter puff pastry slathered with homemade chocolate pecan paste, topped with thinly sliced pears and baked until gooey, golden and crispy. Scrumptious served warm with vanilla ice cream or enjoy at room temperature with creme fraiche...
- 250 g sheet all butter puff pastry thawed
Chocolate pecan paste:
- 60 ml castor sugar
- 30 ml cocoa powder
- 50 g pecan nuts
- 50 g dark chocolate chips or chopped good quality chocolate
- 30 ml butter
- 1 egg
- 2- 3 firm pears
- 5 ml lemon juice
- 5 ml corn flour
- 5 ml vanilla bean paste
- 15 ml castor sugar
To finish off:
- 15 ml melted butter
- 30 ml treacle sugar
- icing sugar for dusting
- Mascarpone or Crème Fraiche
- Place puff pastry sheet on a baking paper lined baking tray. Score a 2 cm border around the pastry. Lightly score the pastry except the border. Chill in the fridge until ready for use.
- Chocolate pecan paste: place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until it forms a thick paste.
- Cut the pears in quarters and remove the seeds. Slice each wedge into thin uniform slices. Discard (or eat) the odd or small ones. Place sliced pears in a bowl and lightly toss together with the lemon juice, corn flour, vanilla and castor sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Spread the chocolate paste within the borders of the chilled pastry.
- Arrange the pears overlapping one another on top of the chocolate paste.
- Brush the pears with melted butter and sprinkle with treacle sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes then turn heat down to 180°C and bake for a further 10 – 15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Slice into portions, dust with a little icing sugar and serve with a good dollop of crème fraiche or mascarpone.
- Optional: Dust the pears generously with icing sugar and use a blow torch for extra caramelization.
Make 6 individual ones and adjust the baking time accordingly.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!