Grilled Yoghurt Flatbreads & Green Goodness
These are the easiest and tastiest flatbreads you'll ever make, made with only a few ingredients. The dough is very forgiving. If too sticky, add more flour, if too dry, add more yoghurt. Simple. I love how rustic they look, roll out as you please - the less effort you put in the better, rub with olive oil and grill in a hot griddle pan or over coals until charred on both sides. The smoky flavour you get from doing them this way is incredible. To make them even more luscious, brush melted garlic butter onto them afterwards. Because these flatbreads are so damn delicious, I opted to adorn them with a few simple ingredients to enhance how amazing they are as is. If you are needing meat in your life, this recipe is the perfect accompaniment to spicy grilled lamb chops or lamb koftas. Also scrumptious served with beetroot hummus or falafels. Grilled Yoghurt FlatbreadsSmoky Tahini Yoghurt | Grilled Courgette Ribbons & Fresh Greens | Chevin
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) self-raising flour
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) baking powder
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cumin seeds
- 125 – 150 ml plain full cream yoghurt
- extra flour for kneading and shaping
- olive oil
Smoky Tahini Yoghurt:
- 1 c (250 ml) double thick yoghurt
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) tahini
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) smoked paprika
- 2 Tbs (30 ml) finely chopped fresh coriander
- Freshly ground salt & pepper to taste
- 6 large courgettes thinly sliced using a veggie peeler
- 100 g baby spinach
- 40 g wild rocket
- handful of small mint leaves
- Willowcreek Lemon Flavoured Extra Virgin Olive oil for dressing and drizzling
- 100 g chevin or creamy feta crumbled
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) mixed seeds
- For flatbreads. Place flour, baking powder, salt and cumin seeds into a bowl. Mix in enough yoghurt using a wooden spoon until the dry ingredients come together. Use floured hands and a little extra flour to knead briefly to form a soft dough. If too sticky, add flour, if too dry, add yoghurt. Divide into 6 portions.
- Roll each portion out between two flour-dusted pieces of baking paper. They should be rustic and freeform, about ½ cm thick.
- Heat a griddle pan until smoking hot. Drizzle the flatbreads lightly with olive oil. Grill until charred on both sides and puffed up slightly. Set aside. Brush with optional garlic butter for extra deliciousness.
- Mix the smoky tahini yoghurt ingredients together and season to taste.
- Toss the thinly sliced courgettes in a little olive oil and season with salt.
- Grill for a few seconds per side on a hot griddle pan – just to allow some char marks. Don’t overdo it. Use a pair of tongs to gently remove them from the griddle pan.
- Gently toss the spinach, grilled courgette, rocket and mint together with a drizzle of Willowcreek lemon flavoured olive oil.
- Spread smoky yoghurt onto each flatbread and top generously with tossed greens, crumbled chevin and seeds. Drizzle once more with olive oil. Sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper. Serve remaining smoky yoghurt on the side.
I prepared this recipe on the Morning Expresso Show a few weeks ago. Check it out on YouTube here. *Disclaimer: I'm proudly associated with Willowcreek Olive oil and use their range of olive oils in my kitchen and on set where ever possible. #brandlove
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!