Ostrich Meatballs with Roasted Tomato Hummus & Pickled Cucumber Salad
Your second recipe for the week...
- 500 g baby rosa tomatoes halved
- Olive oil
- 500 g ostrich or lean free range beef mince
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- zest of 1 lemon
- handful of fresh coriander finely chopped + extra
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) each of ground cumin, ground coriander and dried chillies
- 1 Tbs (15 ml) oat bran or 3 Tbs (45 ml) oats or 1 Tbs (15 ml) psyllium husk
- 1 egg beaten
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 400 g tinned chickpeas drained
- 1 -2 garlic cloves
- 3 Tbs (45 ml) Tahini Juice of 1 lemon 1 tsp
- (5 ml) each of ground cumin, coriander and smoked paprika
- 3 Tbs (45 ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil ( Willow Creek)
- 1 small Mediterranean cucumber sliced ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 1 Tsp (15 ml) white wine vinegar 100 g baby spinach 100 g feta, cut into cubes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Place tomatoes onto a foil-lined roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and roast for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine the meatball ingredients together. Season well. Divide mixture into 10 -12 little meatballs. Use wet hands to do this.
- Add ¾ of the roasted tomatoes into a food processor, together with ¾ of the chickpeas, the garlic, tahini, lemon juice, spices and blend with enough olive oil to create a smooth creamy hummus consistency. Season to taste.
- Place the meatballs onto the same roasting tray, leaving room for the chickpeas on the side. Roast for 15 -20 minutes or until meatballs are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine the cucumber, onion and vinegar together in a serving bowl.
- Serve a few meatballs on a bed of tomato hummus, arrange some baby spinach and pickled cucumber salad on the side and sprinkle with remaining roasted tomatoes and crispy chickpeas.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!