Homemade Salmon Fishcakes
Homemade Fishcakes is one of my go-to weeknight meals. Whether using fresh or frozen salmon or hake (or other sustainable line fish), tinned fish (tuna, mackerel or pilchards) or even a combination with smoked fish - it is all delicious, in my humble opinion. As a child, my ouma used to make tinned pilchard or "middle cut" fishcakes practically every week, they were so basic but made with love. So every time I make fishcakes, I think of my ouma, Martha. 86 - strong and sharp as ever. It must be the fishcakes. Enter, my Salmon Fishcakes dolled up with herbs and lemon zest. Use breadcrumbs or a gluten-free flour of your choice for binding with potato, egg and seasoning. The mixture is quite soft, so it needs to chill a bit before shaping and frying. Moderate heat is essential for evenly fried golden fishcakes. So delicious served with buttery peas and fresh lemon wedges. Add steamed broccolini and asparagus to the peas if you need more greens in your life.
- 400 g frozen Norwegian salmon defrosted
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Handful of chives chopped (or replace with freeze-dried herbs, like dill)
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) quinoa, rice or cornflour (or replace with ¼ c / 60 ml fresh breadcrumbs)
- Extra flour of choice for shaping and dusting
- Salt and pepper
- Boil potato cubes in salted water until tender, remove from the pot using a slotted spoon.
- Poach the salmon in the same pot of water until it flakes apart. Remove and set aside.
- Mash the potato in a mixing bowl, season well. Add flaked fish, chives, lemon zest, egg and flour of your choice and mix until well combined. Season once more.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Using gloves (because we all have them now since covid), divide the mixture into 6 patties. Lightly coat your fish patties with seasoned flour.
- Shallow fry over moderate heat until golden brown on both sides and hot in the center. Do not let the oil get too hot.
- Place onto a paper towel to absorb excess oil and serve immediately with peas and fresh lemon.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!