Courgette, Herb & Feta Fritters | Butternut & Seed Salad
These courgette, herb & feta fritters are just so tasty, I usually do them as a snack but they are divine as a meal when served with a substantial veggie-loaded salad. Enjoy!
- 1 small to medium butternut peeled and thinly sliced
- 80 - 100 g long-stem broccoli optional, blanched
- 500 g (4- 5 medium) courgettes, coarsely grated
- 4 spring onions finely chopped
- 200 g feta cheese crumbled
- handful of coriander chopped
- handful of mint chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbs (30 ml) psyllium husk
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) baking powder
- 2 large eggs beaten
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- half a red onion thinly sliced
- 60 - 80 g baby spinach
- Mixed seeds
- Willowcreek extra virgin olive oil & virgin coconut oil perfect for frying or vegetable oil of your choice
- Arrange sliced butternut onto a greased baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil. Season. Roast for +- 25 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
- Meanwhile, spread the grated courgette on a dry clean tea towel, sprinkle with salt and allow to stand for 10 minutes to draw out excess moisture. Gently pat dry.
- Combine the dried grated courgette, spring onion, feta, herbs, zest, psyllium husk and baking powder. Mix until well combined. Now mix in the egg. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Heat enough oil in a large pan for shallow frying.
- Drop heaped tablespoons of batter into the moderately hot oil and flatten into patties.
- Fry for +- 3 minutes per side or until golden and cooked through. Place on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Toss the roasted butternut, blanched broccoli, sliced onion and baby spinach together or keep elements separate to create another grazing bowl of sorts. Sprinkle with seeds.
- Serve fritters with salad goodies and lemon wedges on the side.
All these weeknight images have been taken at dinner time using my mobile phone. This is by no means my usual ''styling'' so to speak. Although I quite like the simplicity of it. This is purely a reflection of what is on my plate every evening for the duration of my planning and eating better health journey. How long this journey will be? Time will tell 😉 For those that are missing my naughty meals and videos, not to worry, I will definitely be creating some yummy content soonest. Because, life is all about balance after all. If we are mindful and eat well in the week, why can't we indulge in all the delicious things over the weekend?
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!