Chicken Broth Bowl
Don't you just love cold and rainy days? What could be better than a warm bowl of homemade chicken broth bowl with quinoa, succulent shredded chicken, pan-fried exotic mushrooms, crispy kale and lemon zest. This dish featured on my Instagram a few months ago (inspired by The Daley Plate) and I finally decided this recipe needs to be on my blog. The broth is simple and beautifully clear with SO MUCH flavour. It is liquid gold in my humble opinion. Simply incredible served in bowls with all these delicious adornments.
Clear chicken broth:
- 1 large free range chicken
- 4-6 large leeks or 2 onions sliced
- 6 fat garlic cloves
- a handful of Maldon Salt
- freshly ground black pepper lots
- 1 tsp 5 ml of dried tarragon and dried thyme
- 1 c 250 ml quinoa cooked uncovered in a separate pot with 750 ml salted water
- Shredded cooked chicken
- 250 g exotic mushrooms seasoned and sauteed in butter until browned and flavourful
- Bunch of kale torn into pieces, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned. Roasted at 160 Degrees Celsius for +- 20 minutes or until crispy
- zest of 1 lemon
- Place all the broth ingredients into a large pot. Cover with water and a lid. Bring to the boil and simmer for 90 minutes or longer until chicken falls apart. Alternatively use a pressure cooker to shorten the time.
- Meanwhile, prepare the quinoa, mushrooms and kale.
- Remove chicken and allow to cool. Shred and discard bones and skin.
- Pour chicken stock through a sieve (and muslin cloth if possible), squish all the goodness out of the garlic and leeks.
- Reheat the strained broth and season to taste.
- Serve in heated bowls with cooked quinoa, shredded chicken, fried mushrooms, crispy kale bits and lemon zest.
I always have lots of broth and shredded chicken left over. Simply combine the lot and serve as a good old chicken soup (topped up with more liquid if needed) or utilize in a yummy chicken pie or casserole.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!