Thai Pork Meatballs in Fragrant Coconut Broth
This Thai Pork Meatball dish is a firm favourite in our household because it's sooo tasty without the guilt and fuss. Chicken mince can be used too, but I love the flavour pork brings to the party. Loads of fresh aromatics are added to the mince and instead of bread I use psyllium husks as a binder to form perfect little low carb meatballs. The meatballs are gently browned in coconut oil, then simmered in fragrant coconut milk which in turn becomes an utterly delicious broth from all the pork cooking juices. Served on a bed of crisp stir-fried veggies is pure happiness, but feel free to serve with steamed jasmine rice or rice noodles to soak up all the broth. Enjoy! xx
- 500 g Pork 360 quality assured pork mince
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- 2 Tbs (30 ml) grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) chopped red chilli or chill paste
- 2 tsp (10 ml) fish sauce
- 2 tsp (10 ml) psyllium husks or 3 Tbs (45 ml) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbs (15 ml) coconut oil (for frying)
- 400 g coconut milk
- 7.5 ml red curry paste feel free to use green curry paste for a hotter broth
- 1 Tbs (15 ml) fish sauce
- 3 dried or fresh lime leaves
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 3 Tbs (45 ml) chopped coriander
- 100 g fine greenbeans trimmed
- 2 carrots peeled and julienned
- 100 g baby corn halved down the length
- 100 g sugar snap peas halved down the length
- 3 Tbs (45 ml) coconut shavings, toasted in a dry pan
- Extra chopped coriander
- 1 - 2 extra limes optional
- Mix all the meatball ingredients together until well combined. With wet hands, roll into 12- 14 mini meatballs.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan or wok and brown the meatballs in batches until golden - do not cook all the way through. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan/wok, add the coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce and lime leaves. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer uncovered until reduced to almost half the amount (about 20 minute).
- Add the meatballs to the sauce, together with the lime zest, juice and fresh coriander and simmer for 8 - 10 minutes.
- While meatballs are simmering, heat a little oil in a large frying pan and fry the veggies until bright and al dente.
- Serve the meatballs and broth on a bed of veggies and garnish with coconut shavings and coriander.
- Serve with extra lime on the side.
[This is my last recipe in collaboration with Pork 360 's #feastwithpork360 campaign, if you happened to miss my previous 5 porkalicious recipes, please do have a peek! P.s. Be sure to look out for the Pork 360 stamp of approval for quality assured pork available at Food Lover's Market.]
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!