An Autumnal Pumpkin Macaroni Cheese Bake. Cheese sauce, smooth pumpkin puree and macaroni baked with fresh herbs, Parmesan and feta cheese. Delicious!
Pumpkin Macaroni & Cheese Bake
Pumpkin Mac & Cheese. Is it a trick or a treat? Cheese sauce, smooth pumpkin puree and macaroni baked with fresh herbs, Parmesan and feta cheese. A delicious, seasonal twist on classic Macaroni Cheese.
- 1 ½ c (375 ml) smooth pumpkin puree from roasted or steamed butternut
- 1 ½ c (375 ml) elbow macaroni or penne
- 50 g butter
- (45 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 c (500 ml) milk
- 1 c (250 ml) grated cheddar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) each of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of nutmeg to taste
- ½ c (125 ml) finely grated parmesan for sprinkling
- 100 g feta or creamy goat's cheese crumbled
- a few sage and basil leaves optional
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Roast or steam pumpkin, puree and measure out 375 ml.
- Boil the pasta in salted water until al dente.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter until melted. Whisk in the flour to make a roux. Add the milk and continue whisking until thickened and starts to bubble. remove from heat. Add the cheddar cheese to the sauce and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Fold the pureed pumpkin into the cheese sauce too. Season once more if needed.
- Mix the pasta and sauce together and spoon into a medium baking dish.
- Sprinkle with parmesan, feta (or goat's cheese) and herbs.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in a 200°c preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with more herbs and leftover cheese.
If you are loving all things pumpkin at the moment too, check out my latest Pumpkin Madeleines & Pumpkin Spice Bread recipes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!