Perfect, fall off the bone, Italian Style Lamb Shanks cooked in an Instant Pot and served on a bed of creamy parmesan loaded mash with gravy and topped with homemade gremolata. A symphony of feel good flavours. Oh and some buttery minted peas on the side are always a good idea too.
Instant Pot Italian Style Lamb Shanks
- Instant Pot, Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
- 1.6 kg free range lamb shanks 3 small lamb shanks
- 2 large red onions peeled and cut into quarters
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 30 ml capers
- 15 ml fresh black peppercorns optional
- 1 lemon zested and juice of half of the lemon
- 375 ml hot beef or vegetable stock Feel free to replace 125 ml of the stock with dry white wine
- 10 ml corn flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15 g Italian parsley finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 60 ml olive oil
- Mashed Potatoes made with butter, cream, lots of grated parmesan cheese and a pinch of nutmeg Recipe in notes below 😉
- Buttery Minted Peas optional
- For Instant Pot: Press Sauté function and add the shanks and top with onions, garlic, herbs, capers, peppercorns and hot stock. Heat until liquid starts to simmer.
- Seal with lid and use Slow Cook setting with More (High) option. Cook for 1 hour ( I choose to do it this way to really allow the flavours to develop). Then change setting to Pressure Cook (High) for 35 minutes.
- Combine gremolata ingredients together and set aside. This is also a good time to prep your mashed potatoes and peas.
- Release steam and open. Gently remove lamb shanks from the cooking liquid and set aside*. Press Sauté setting again to reduce the liquid and thicken with a slurry of 10 ml corn flour to create a yummy gravy. Season with salt and pepper. TIP: If you want to brown your shanks a bit, simply drizzle lightly with olive oil and pop into a 200°C oven for 15 minutes. Add back to gravy or serve immediately covered in gravy!
- Arrange lamb shanks on a generous bed of mashed potato. Pour over some gravy and top with gremolata and serve buttery minted peas on the side.
Oven Roasting Option
- Place all ingredients into a oven proof casserole dish and cook covered in a 160°C oven for 4 hours. Use above method for gravy.
Slow Cooker Option
- Place all the ingredients as above instruction into your slow cooker and cook over medium heat for 6 hours. Use above method for gravy.
50 g butter
250 ml cream or full cream milk, warm
250 ml grated parmesan
Salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste Boil peeled and cubed potatoes in salted water until tender.
Mash with butter, warm cream or milk and parmesan until lumps are gone.
Add more milk if needed and whisk (not a hand beater or blender) the mash until smooth and fluffy.
Season to taste.