These Homemade Hot Cross Buns with Salted Honey & Cinnamon Butter are an absolute treat and comfort for the soul.
The smell of sweet spice wafting through our little kitchen, hand rolling pastry for my bun crosses and listening to Majozi was a cathartic experience this weekend. A gentle reminder of the reason for the season.
Hot Cross Buns
Homemade Hot Cross Buns with Salted Honey & Cinnamon Butter
- 600 g all purpose flour
- 100 g sugar
- 15 g dried instant yeast
- 5 ml salt
- 15 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.5 ml ground ginger
- 2 ml ground cloves
- 1 orange zested
- 200 g sultanas optional
- 90 g butter softened
- 2 large eggs beaten
- +- 250 ml buttermilk, laban or water lukewarm
- 60 ml extra all purpose flour for kneading and shaping
- 1 large egg for egg wash beaten with a pinch of salt
- 40 g cold butter grated
- 125 ml all purpose flour
- a little ice water
- 45 ml apricot jam
- 45 ml sugar
- 45 ml water
Salted Honey & Cinnamon Butter
- 100 g butter
- 10 ml ground cinnamon
- 15 ml honey
- 2.5 ml coarse sea salt freshly ground
- For the dough, sift all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Add thesultanas and orange zest and mix briefly.
- Using a stand mixer with dough hook or with a wooden spoon and bare hands, mix in the butter, beaten eggs and enough buttermilk for the dough to come together. Knead until you have a smooth, soft, elastic dough. Add more flour if needed.
- Place into a large clean bowl, cover and allow to proof for 1 hour to double in size or overnight at cool room temperature.. Divide risen dough into 15 x +- 80 g pieces and shape into round buns. Place them onto a lined baking tray with +- 5cm space in-between each one. Cover and allow to proof in a warm area for an hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pastry for the crosses: Rub the butter into the flour and add just enough ice-cold water to allow the ingredients to combine evenly – mix by cutting in using a knife. Roll the pastry dough into thin strips for your crosses (you will need 30 +- 8cm pieces).
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Brush risen buns gently with egg wash and arrange crosses onto each bun. Bake for 18 – 20 minutes. Not a minute longer please 🙂
- Meanwhile, heat the jam, sugar, and water together until sugar dissolves, Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Brush glaze onto freshly baked hot cross buns.
- Best eaten warm- straight from the oven, microwaved or toasted with lots of salted butter or my Salted Honey & Cinnamon Butter.
- To make Salted Honey & Cinnamon Butter: Blend all the ingredients in a food processor until well combined, light and fluffy! Keep refrigerated after use.
Calories: 371kcalCarbohydrates: 65gProtein: 8gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 226mgPotassium: 228mgFiber: 3gSugar: 21gVitamin A: 321IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 57mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Comment