Tavola gifted me with an Instant Pot Duo Plus, 9 in 1 multi-cooker and I cannot be more grateful and proud to be part of the Instant Pot Middle East & Global family. I finally understand what all the fuss is about and why this appliance has taken the world by storm. You can literally cook anything with it. I have yet to try all the amazing settings, including sous vide, yoghurt and cake setting. I mean, omg! The excitement is real.
I recently had the most delicious Crock Pot Beef Carnitas at a friend’s house and she kindly me sent me the recipe she used by Eat Live Run. It is basically Mexican style slow cooked pulled beef. So, I could choose Slow Cook function for 8 hours or the Pressure Cook function in my Instant Pot and eat sooner. You guessed it, I adapted the recipe (substituted and added a few ingredients) and cooked it within 1 hour! Seriously delicious with so little effort. You literally put all the ingredients into the pot and let it do it’s thing while you prep your fillings and sides.
Also, I am not ashamed to admit that I am a 38 year old professional culinary consultant that is terrified of pressure cookers, always have been. But not anymore, I feel so safe and in control. Thanks Tavola and Instant Pot ME! This appliance is going to be a game changer in my kitchen.
Instant Pot Beef Carnitas
- Instant Pot
- 500 g skirt or flank steak
- 1 red onion roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 red pepper roughly chopped
- 1 green pepper roughly chopped
- 30 ml sliced pickled jalapenos
- 10 ml ground cumin
- 5 ml dried chilli flakes
- 2.5 ml chilli powder
- 2.5 ml smoked paprika
- 5 ml dried oregano
- 250 ml canned tomatoes chopped
- 125 ml beef stock
- freshly chopped coriander
- extra chillies
- guacamole or smashed avocado
- red kidney or black beans
- tortillas or tacos
- fresh lime
- pickled red cabbage
- diced tomato
- grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Place all of the ingredients into your Instant Pot. Seal with lid and press Pressure Cook Function and adjust time to 40 minutes. Once completed, release the steam.
- Meanwhile, prepare all your favourite fillings and sides.
- The meat should be falling apart when shredded with a fork. Remove meat from the pot using a slotted spoon. Press the Sauté setting and simmer the cooking liquid until thickened and reduced (the flavour gets more concentrated the longer it simmers), Add meat into the reduced sauce. The Instant Pot will automatically keep it warm too or choose Keep Warm setting.
- Create a feast! Serve with tortillas or tacos and prepared fillings and sides.
Prefer bowl food? Try brown rice, beef carnitas and all the delicious toppings!