It was about a year ago when I binge-watched Salt Fat Acid Heat on Netflix and one of the episodes focused on FAT enlightened me on how important olive oil is when it comes to making the perfect focaccia bread. With all this time on our hands, I decided to make focaccia bread with this invaluable lesson in mind. Douse the dough with lots, and I mean lots of extra virgin olive oil. Toppings can be as simple as rosemary, coarse salt and fresh garlic. I also added homemade marinated roasted Mediterranean vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, aubergine, onion) and olives.
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) instant yeast
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) salt
- 375 ml warm water
- Extra flour for kneading
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Toppings of your choice rosemary, coarse salt and garlic is a must though
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir in the warm water and mix until well combined and starts forming a dough.
- With floured hands and surface, knead for 5 - 8 minutes or until dough is smooth.
- Place back into large (greased bowl), rub with olive oil, cover and allow to proof in a warm area for at least 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Gently press dough into a lined medium baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil. Allow to proof for 20 minutes.
- Press holes into dough using your fingers and embed with your choice of toppings.
- Drizzle generously with olive oil and season well with coarse salt and pepper.
- Allow to proof one more time for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180 Degrees Celsius and bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Crispy, chewy, salty and delicious!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!