Chicken Miso Soup
Hello from Kuwait! I'm not going to write a self-indulgent post with regards to what is going on globally at the moment ( I think we are overloaded with info and my Gaaawd, it's draining). I will, however, share a new recipe to keep you inspired and busy in the kitchen 😉 Nothing is more comforting and nourishing than a good pot of chicken soup that's been cooking for hours on the stovetop. This soup isn't the classic, ''Jewish Penicillin'' kind. This is Chicken Soup with all the Funk! A whole chicken cooked with a basic mirepoix, stock, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, lots of garlic and ginger and just enough chilli to clear the nasal passages. And the kicker, miso paste. So lots of umami happening here. The flavour is reminiscent of a seriously good bowl of ramen broth. Only, no noodles, just loads of tender shredded chicken and chunky bits of vegetables. Naturally, it just made sense to serve a warm bowl of this flavour bomb elixir topped with egg, pickled red cabbage and fresh coriander. P.s. Don't worry if you don't have miso paste ( I wouldn't want you rushing to the shops now), add the funk using fish sauce and/or soy sauce. Oh, and this soup freezes well too. Look after yourself and one another. We as humanity will pull through this ''special'' time and make positive changes for the better <3 Love and light, Carey
- 1 medium free range chicken cleaned
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 4 carrots peeled and diced
- 3 large ripe tomatoes
- 250 g mushrooms thickly sliced
- 6 - 8 garlic cloves crushed
- +- 2 L chicken stock
- 1/4 c (60 ml) grated ginger
- 1-2 tsp (5-10 ml) dried chilli
- 1/4 c (60 ml) brown miso paste (or fish sauce and soy sauce to taste)
- +- 30 ml lemon juice or rice wine vinegar
- Handful of fresh coriander chopped
- To serve:
- Boiled eggs Boiled for 5-6 minutes
- Pickled red cabbage carrot or cucumber
- Fresh coriander
- Heat oil in a large pot and brown whole chicken on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add onion, celery and carrot and saute until translucent. Now add the tomatoes, mushrooms and garlic and saute until softened and fragrant.
- Add chicken back to the pot and cover with +- 2 L stock.
- Stir in the ginger, miso and chilli. Cover and simmer gently for +- 2 hours or until chicken falls apart.
- Carefully fish the chicken out, shred and remove all the bones. Place shredded chicken back into the pot.
- Simmer for 5 - 10 minutes. Add lemon juice or rice wine vinegar to add a little acidity and season with a little salt and pepper if needed. Stir in the fresh coriander.
- Serve with egg, pickled cabbage or veg of your choice and fresh coriander.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Comment