Carrot Cake Swiss Roll
This cake is so moist, forgiving and all kinds of wonderful. Making a swiss roll has never been easier! My new favourite way to eat carrot cake. The cake and cream cheese frosting ratio is amazing.
- 185 g softened salted butter
- 200 g castor sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 150 g all purpose flour
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) ground ginger
- A pinch of all spice
- 2 medium carrots peeled and grated
- 1 medium apple peeled and grated
- 50 g chopped walnuts or hazelnuts optional
- ¼ c (60 ml) apple, orange or pineapple juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 200 g full fat cream cheese
- 50 g butter softened
- 1 tsp (5 ml) juice of choice
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) vanilla essence
- 1 c (250 ml) icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 165°C.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add eggs and beat briefly.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the bowl and add the remaining cake ingredients and using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into a baking paper lined 34 x 22 x 3 cm baking tray.
- Bake for 22 – 25 minutes. It is important not to over bake this cake.
- Allow to cool, then gently invert onto a large sheet of baking paper. Place another sheet of baking paper onto the cake. Use a rolling pin to gently flatten to no more than 2 cm thick.
- Meanwhile prepare the frosting. Beat the cream cheese, butter, juice and essence until smooth. Sift the icing sugar into the mixture and beat until well combined and smooth.
- Spread onto cooled cake. Use the paper to tightly roll up the cake. Keep cake wrapped in the paper and gently transfer onto a tray. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour or even make hour in advance.
- remove from fridge 20 minutes before serving and slice into 12 – 14 portions. Note it may only feed 4 – 6 people 🙂
- Garnish with extra nuts and even some chopped rosemary or thyme.
TIP: For a 2 layer cake. Double the recipe. Use 2 x 20 cm round baking tins. Bake for at same temperature for +- 40 minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Comment