I think it’s only fitting to share this delicious and vegan Asian Cauliflower Wings recipe for Veganuary. Crispy cauliflower florets doused in sticky Asian-style BBQ sauce. I cheat and use a good BBQ sauce and ramp up the flavour with Asian aromatics. Enjoy!
Asian Cauliflower Wings
- 1 kg cauliflower broken into florets
- ½ c (125 ml) vegetable stock warm
- ¼ c (60 ml) BBQ Sauce
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce
- 1 c (250 ml) all purpose flour or gluten free flour
- ½ c (125 ml) corn flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Cooking oil for deep frying
Asian Style BBQ Sauce
- 1 c (250 ml) BBQ Sauce of your choice
- ¼ c (60 ml) soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) Sriracha sauce
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) honey
- 1 tsp chilli paste
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) fresh ginger finely grated
- 1 fresh lime juice and zest
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) sesame seeds
- 2 red chillies finely sliced
- 1-2 spring onions finely sliced
- 1 handful of fresh coriander roughly chopped
- Make sure the cauliflower florets are well rinsed in water.
- Combine the stock, BBQ and soy sauce in a medium bowl.
- Combine the all purpose flour, corn flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Place florets into liquid mixture until well coated. Remove florets and shake in batches into the flour mixture. For extra crispy coating, repeat process once more.
- Heat enough cooking oil for deep frying while preparing the Asian Style BBQ sauce.
- Fry the coated caulifower in batches until golden and crispy on the outside (the cauliflower should still be al dente).
- Place all the Asian BBQ sauce ingredients (except coriander) into a sauce pan and simmer for 8 - 10 minutes or until reduced to a saucy consistency. Stir in the coriander when cauliflower is ready for dunking.
- In a large bowl, shake the hot and crispy cauliflower florets with the heated Asian style BBQ Sauce until well coated. Use remaining sauce for serving.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, chilli, spring onion and coriander and eat immediately!