The Best Caesar Salad? Well I most certainly think so. It’s all about getting the basics perfect. I then took a step further and made Parmesan & Truffle Croutons and Crispy Parmesan Bits. Sourcing the freshest crunchiest lettuce and the best Parmesan one can find is super important and, of course, a homemade proper Caesar Salad Dressing is an absolute must.
Once the basic salad is nailed, feel free to add anchovy fillets, crispy bacon, grilled chicken and/or a lovely jammy yolk boiled egg.
The Best Caesar Salad
- airfryer optional
Parmesan Truffle Croutons
- 4 slices sourdough cut into chunks
- 1 c (250 ml) parmesan cheese grated
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) Truffle infused olive oil
- malden salt to taste
- black pepper freshly ground
- 200 g sour cream
- ¼ c (60 ml) creamy mayonnaise
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp (5 ml) capers optional
- 4 anchovies
- 1 c (250 ml) grated parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) lemon juice 1 large lemon
- 45- 60 ml ice cold water
- malden salt to taste
- 1 tsp (5 ml) black pepper freshly ground
- 2 cos or romaine lettuce use the smaller crunchy leaves (Iceberg is good too)
- ¾ c (180 ml) Parmesan shavings
- crispy bacon chopped
- grilled chicken
- boiled eggs
- Place all the ingredients into a bowl and toss until croutons are well coated in the truffle oil and parmesan.
- For Airfryer: Use Airfry setting at 199°C for 10 - 12 minutes. Give the croutons a good shake halfway through the cooking time. For Conventional Oven: Place tossed ingredients onto a non stick or baking paper lined baking tray. Bake at 200°C for 15 to 20 minutes or until bread and parmesan is golden and crispy.
- You should now have yummy croutons and crispy parmesan bits! Allow to cool before adding to salad.
- Place all the ingredients (except for the water) in a food processor/nutribullet and blend until smooth. Season well with salt and pepper. Add more lemon juice if more acidity if preferred.
- Slowly blend in enough water until desired consistency is achieved.
- Season once again. I like to add lots of black pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate. Use within 5 days.
- When ready to serve, toss the cooled croutons and crispy parmesan together with the lettuce and parmesan shavings.
- Add generous amounts of dressing.