This is my Banoffee take on Milk Cake. Who doesn’t love Banoffee? A good slathering of whipped cream, a rather serious drizzle of caramel and bruleed bananas.
What is Milk Cake?
A chilled dessert consisting of soft delicate sponge cake soaked in sweetened milk (evaporated milk, condensed milk and full cream milk or cream), traditionally infused with rosewater, saffron or pistachio. Topped with a layer of cream. It is the best dessert ever on a hot summer’s day. So deliciously sweet, yet refreshing on a hot summer’s day.
To view the recipe reel I made on instagram, click here.
The milk cake recipe is adapted from The Kate Tin.
Banoffee Milk Cake
- 35 x 25 x 10 cm sheet cake pan
- 10 eggs separated
- 300 g castor sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 390 g (tin) sweetened condensed milk
- 340 g full cream evaporated milk
- 300 ml full cream milk
- 500 ml whipping cream
- 3 bananas (medium) halved
- ⅓ c (80) ml dulce leche / caramel sauce for drizzling
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) castor sugar for caramelising with blow torch
- toasted flaked almonds optional
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks, castor sugar and vanilla together until light and creamy. Remove and set aside.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into the creamy yolk mixture and gently combine together with the egg whites until smooth. Do not overmix.
- Spread into the lightly greased cake pan.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Use a skewer to test if middle comes out clean when pricked. Allow to cool to room temperature ( +- 45 minutes).
- Prick lots of tiny holes in the sheet cake.
- Mix the 3 milks together and pour over the cake.
- Allow liquid to soak into the cake. Best refrigerated for at least 2 hours. 8 hours would be even better.
- When ready to serve, caramelise the cut side of the banana halves with a good layer of castor sugar and a blow torch.
- Whip the cream until a little firmer than soft peaks.
- Spread the cream generously onto your chilled milk cake.
- Drizzle with cold dulce leche/caramel sauce
- Top with bruleed bananas.
- Sprinkle with optional toasted almonds.
It can be as simple as topping it with fresh cream and strawberries.
If you are looking for a homemade caramel recipe, click here