Spiced Cranberry Compote
With Christmas just around the corner, I thought I'd share my favourite chicken liver parfait recipe (it's just a silky smooth luxurious pate, really) along with a spiced cranberry compote and homemade cute little brioche loaves. I chose to do cranberry compote this time, given the season. One can find frozen cranberries at good supermarkets. Look out for the Hillcrest frozen berry range. Usually, I simply play around with apple, pear, onion and of course, seasonal plums. All simply divine ingredients to use for a compote. I particularly enjoyed this festive flavour combination with the nostalgic warm and fuzzy spices in the cranberry compote and of course, the sweetness and much-needed tartness it provides to cut through the gloriously rich parfait and buttery brioche. I will post an easy crowd-pleasing dessert recipe tomorrow on my Instagram. So keep an eye out 😉 And then, I'm officially switching off until 6 Jan 2019! Wishing you all a Happy Christmas and an incredible 2019!
- 350 g frozen cranberries thawed out, including the juices
- 1 c (250 ml) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 c (375 ml) water
- 3 star anise
- 3 cassia sticks cinnamon bark or 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- Place three quarters of the cranberries in a medium saucepan together with remaining ingredients.
- Simmer gently until sugar dissolves. Then turn heat up a little more and simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes or until reduced and sticky.
- Add the remaining cranberries and simmer gently for another 5 -10 minutes.
- You can choose how far you would like this compote to be reduced.
- Allow to cool before serving.
- And there you have it. A super Festive AF starter. It seems like a lot of shit to do, but I promise you, it is so worth that little extra effort. Try and make the parfait the day before, so it sets really well.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Comment