Pumpkin Fritters are a warm reminder of home. A South African favourite, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and usually eaten with a full on roast lunch as a side dish. Such a comfort. Often enjoyed on their own with tea too!
A South African Favourite
- 850 g diced pumpkin
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 2 eggs, large beaten
- 500 ml Canola oil for shallow frying
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp cinnamon powder
- Mash the pumpkin in a large bowl until smooth.
- Sift in the dry ingredients.
- Add the eggs and a dash of milk.
- Mix well until evenly combined and smooth.
- Heat enough oil for shallow frying in a large deep pan.
- Meanwhile, mix the sugar and cinnamon together.
- Add a Tbsp dollop per fritter to the hot oil. It should sizzle. Fry in moderately hot oil in batches until evenly golden and cooked in the centre. The centre should be squishy, but not raw. This mixture makes about 40 fritters.
- Place fritters onto a metal tray lined with kitchen paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- These can be fried in advance and heated by baking at 170°C in an airfryer or oven for 8 - 15 minutes, respectively.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar while hot.
- Eat immediately.
Feel free to half the recipe if 40 fritters are a bit much! In my home, they go quickly and sharing is caring 🙂
Calories: 153kcalCarbohydrates: 11gProtein: 1gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0.05gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 75mgPotassium: 86mgFiber: 1gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 1824IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 38mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!