These Cacio e Pepe Scones are next level. Loaded with Pecorino cheese and freshly ground black pepper, these soft & buttery flaky scones won’t disappoint. This is the only way I prepare scones after seeing Bon Appetit’s method a few years ago. The dough is folded around 4 times and freezing for a few minutes is a must. And then simply cutting them in triangles is genius, no more random bit of dough left (and the poor soul that gets the gnarly scone). I quite enjoy these scones freshly baked and warm with cream cheese and tomato jam . The addition of Prosciutto or Bresaola is magical. An Italian scone of sorts.
Cacio e Pepe Scones
- 750 ml all purpose flour
- 20 ml baking powder
- 2.5 ml Malden salt
- 15 ml freshly ground black pepper + extra for sprinkling
- 125 g chilled butter cut into small blocks
- 125 g Pecorino or Parmesan cheese grated
- 375 ml chilled cream plus extra if needed and for brushing
- 1 large egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the salt and pepper and mix until well combined,
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture until most of it appears to look like coarse breadcrumbs with a few larger chunks of butter remaining (this is important for the flaky texture).
- Add the grated cheese and mix until evenly combined. Keep some cheese aside for sprinkling.
- Add the cream and egg and mix with a cold butter knife until the dough begins to come together. Add a bit more cream if need be.
- Briefly knead the dough to work in the last bits of dry flour mixture. Flatten the dough out into a lightly floured surface until about 3 cm thick. Fold in half and rotate 90°. Flatten again, fold and rotate. Repeat twice more.
- Flatten dough once more to 3cm thickness and form a rectangular shape. Cut in half down the length. Then cut into thirds horizontally to form 6 squares. Cut each square in half on the diagonal to form even sized triangles. Place onto a lined baking tray and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Brush scones generously with cream and sprinkle with cheese and pepper.
- Bake for +-15 - 17 minutes MAX or until risen beautifully and golden brown.